{Eggs} Two Recipes: Three Ingredients

This Spring we were able to make arrangements again for an egg share. Every two weeks we get 2 dozen eggs from Soul Fire Farm. The eggs are priced on a sliding scale $4-6 per dozen.  This experience is the next best thing to having chickens. We have been fostering 3 baby chicks as we contemplate a chicken coop.

Some people argue that they do not like the taste of eggs and work on masking them in their food. I do not like the taste of “factory farm” eggs. Eggs are a large source of protein for our family. What I do want to taste in my eggs is the terroir (some translate as a sense of place).

I want to taste the farm’s soil and chicken forage. I want to see the orange color yolk and hold those blue eggs as I crack the shells.

I do have a thing for recipes that call for 3 ingredients so I thought of sharing a Foraged Green Frittata and a Sponge cake. For the cake, I did a remake adapted from recipes shared by my friends Anya Merritt and Lia Magidson.

3 eggs, a bunch of foraged dandelion greens and wild chives
3 eggs, a bunch of foraged dandelion greens and wild chives

{RECIPE} FORAGED GREEN FRITTATA

1. Set oven to broil to preheat
  2. In an oven safe pan (I used a 8 1/2 inch cast iron), add olive oil to coat the pan and cook the greens until just wilted.
  3. Add 3 beaten eggs to the cooked greens
  4. Place the oven safe pan under broiler in the middle rack of the oven, for about 5 minutes until golden and eggs cooked. Check around 3 minutes as ovens may vary in temperature.
Foraged Fritatta
Finished Foraged Fritatta

{RECIPE} WHOLE WHEAT MAPLE SPONGE CAKE

1. Pre-heat oven 350 F
  2. Beat eggs until it triples in volume, about 7 minutes
  3. Incorporate maple syrup slowly, beating for another 2 minutes
  4. Stir in flour being careful not to break all the bubbles.
  5. Bake in a oiled and floured 8 1/2 inch cast iron pan for 23 to 25 minutes

1. Reblogged this on Story Cooking and commented:
    thank you FSC for sharing my egg share post and recipes.

2. Great post, eggs are the most used ingredient in my kitchen, next to peppers🙂 I have a hard time finding a local place where I can get fresh eggs. I will keep searching, or maybe start a coop.

1. Thank you. We fostered chicks last month and are learning and maybe we too can get a coop someday. When Soul Fire Farm egg share is over, I try to trade with friends, we get them from farmer’s market or from our local food co-op, it is worth looking for them. All Best–Ellie

3. Gina M says:

I *LOVE* Soul Fire Farm! We’ve been getting the eggs all winter also, and I’m looking forward to the CSA starting again this summer.

1. Oh yes, they are just wonderful Gina! I visited them this past weekend and the farm is looking great! Delicious veggies coming your way!

4. Dianna says:

I can hardly wait to try the maple cake, that looks so interesting. Thank you.

1. Hope you like it Dianna. It had the right amount of sweetness for our family (to even have cake for breakfast🙂

5. chef mimi says:

My mother had eggs for a while, and when I visited I was treated to fabulous fresh eggs, with incredible flavor. Sometimes duck eggs as well. But she also fed her animals very well, which also makes a difference in flavor. I’ve contemplated having chickens, but unfortunately, we travel too often. If I could, I would! Wonderful fritatta!

1. yes, you make a great point about taking care that the animals are fed well. We just had hard boiled eggs for dinner tonight with some roasted potatoes and a green salad– I appreciate these eggs so much!
      –Ellie

6. hcmason86 says:

Wow, that sponge cake is really amazing! I’m going to try that! I just found your blog, I love it!

7. domain says:

Right here is the right site for anyone who wishes to find out about this topic.
    You realize so much its almost hard to argue with
    you (not that I personally will need to…HaHa). You certainly
    put a brand new spin on a topic that’s been written about for years.
    Great stuff, just excellent!