{recipe} Raspberry Rhubarb Crisp

I remember the moment that I realized there were raspberry and blackberry bushes in the back yard of my newly bought house a few years ago. Pure joy. I have always loved fruit picking – it’s one of my favorite pastimes. Over the past few years we’ve planted fruit bushes and trees in our third of an acre suburban yard, including strawberries, blueberries, rhubarb, peaches, and apples. This week I picked a couple of quarts of raspberries from our yard and our rhubarb bushes have been growing strong this season. I had promised my sister a birthday fruit crisp and was waiting until I could go strawberry picking to make one. But then I thought: why not raspberry and rhubarb in a crisp? The results were delicious, and it was satisfying to have made a fruit crisp totally from plants growing in our yard.

DSC00176

In my mind, making fruit crisp is more of a method than a recipe.

1. I basically just pile the fruit into whatever baking pan I’m using.
  2. Sprinkle in some sugar and cornstarch and mix it together.
  3. Then top it with crumb topping.

For this batch, my filling was:

• about a quart of raspberries,
  • a few cups of chopped rhubarb,
  • half a cup of sugar,
  • and a tablespoon of cornstarch.

and for the topping I used:

• 4 tablespoons of butter,
  • a cup of oatmeal,
  • half a cup of corn flour (to keep it gluten free),
  • and a cup of brown sugar.

I melted the butter and mixed it all together, and then sprinkled it on top of the fruit.

DSC00175

The crisp was delicious with vanilla ice cream, but I’ve also been eating it for breakfast topped with greek yogurt (hey, there’s fruit in there, right?) Hopefully this is the start of a fruit crisp-filled summer and fall!

DSC00182

1. robisaba says:

Sounds very nice, definitely to try . Also interesting that you call that crisp, in the UK (where I live although I’m Italian) that type of dessert is called crumble

1. BETSY says:

That’s interesting!

2. sebbyholmes says:

Love how simple this is. It’s great to see someone utilise the benefits of growing their own fruit. Awesome dessert/snack/ and you’re right breakfast (after all it does have fruit in it right?) Thanks for sharing

1. BETSY says:

One of the easiest and quickest desserts out there!

3. yummy – make this and I will come to your house and eat it…..

1. BETSY says:

lol John – sadly all our raspberries are gone, but maybe this fall with apples!

4. Wow! I love that recipe. I have fresh rhubarb growing in my backyard right now!
    I love your blog.🙂

5. Ashley Marie says:

Hello!

Your inspiring blog has been nominated for: The Versatile Blogger Award! You’ve been nominated by: Me! Visit my page to see your blog’s nomination. Scroll to the bottom!

…and thanks for the great reads.