I feel bad. I’m forever making goodies for my family, friends, and neighbors… but what about our poor dogs? Should they be resigned to a life of drab kibble, and nothing but?
Whenever I make cookies for lunchpails, etc., I also try to set aside some time to make cookies for the dogs. Yes, we call them dog “cookies” here (not to be confused with cookies made from dogs). Refer to them as dog treats or biscuits or whatever you’d like.
I try to lead a from scratch lifestyle and offer that to my family, but sometimes we overlook the four-legged members of the household. These super easy treats are a perfect way to bring from scratch living full-circle.
My dogs really like the peanut butter variety, though I’ve also had success with some made with chicken stock and chopped-up leftover bacon. The peanut butter recipe is below!
RECIPE: PEANUT BUTTER DOG COOKIES
Makes about five dozen
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 cup peanut butter (I use creamy)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degree Fahrenheit
- Combine all ingredients until a dough forms.
- Roll out to about 1/2-inch thick. Cut into desired shapes.
- Bake for 8 minutes for a softer cookie, 12 minutes for a crisper cookie.
- Allow to cool before serving to pup.
- Store in an airtight container.