{diy project} Homemade Maple Cream

Editor’s Note: Please welcome our newest contributor, Ellie Markovitch, an artist, educator for the Agricultural Stewardship Association (among other organizations) , multimedia storyteller, member of Chefs Consortium. -Christina

It is Maple season in New York and a few weekends ago I joined the Agricultural Stewardship Association tour of Peggy and Matt Cannon’s Maple and Milk farm. I captured sights and sounds of the tour and brought home some delicious Maple syrup. Here how I made maple butter:

10emaple butter photo by Ellie Markovitch

• 1 cup of butter at room temperature
  • 1/2 cup of Matt’s Maple Madness maple syrup from ASA farm tour
  • pinch of salt

1) Bring butter and syrup to room temperature
1emaple butter photo by Ellie Markovitch
2) Heat up maple syrup to soft ball temperature (234°F)
2emaple butter photo by Ellie Markovitch
3) Add pieces of butter, stirring to combine
3emaple butter photo by Ellie Markovitch
4) Transfer to Stand mixer with a paddle attachment
4emaple butter photo by Ellie Markovitch
5) mix on medium high, I had mine set mostly at speed 8.
5emaple butter photo by Ellie Markovitch
6) This is how it looks after 10 minutes
6emaple butter photo by Ellie Markovitch
7) Photo after 15 minutes
7emaple butter photo by Ellie Markovitch
8) place in jars, cover and keep refrigerated
8emaple butter photo by Ellie Markovitch
9) Spread on a slice of bread, cakes, rolls and enjoy! Keep in the refrigerator for long shelf life.

1. Jeni B says:

Holy Moley that looks amazing. I’ve made honey butter before, but never maple butter…

1. Thanks Jeni. The flavor is really good and it makes great cake frosting! I would like to try adding some spices next time.

1. Jeni B says:

oh! maybe something exotic!? Like cardamom… oh lawdy.

1. Hi Gina, hope you will try. I would not mind testing just whipping the maple syrup until it becomes “butter” and for those who can’t have butter, maybe using a veggie spread to replace the butter. But as I made, it will hold the shape to cover a cake for sure.

2. Leaf Parade says:

This looks amazing! Welcome, Ellie!
    -Emily K.

1. Thank you Emily. I am honored to join FSC!

3. Gina M says:

Nice! So it’s like an eggless maple buttercream – can’t wait to try this on some cake.

4. Kate H says:

This looks delicious, I’ll have to try it this weekend!

5. This is a must, it looks so tasty on a bagel!

6. Oh my goodness! I grew up working at a camp center who made this, but they used maple flavoring and powdered sugar. Since then I totally forgot about it, but it will definitely be on my to-make list now!

1. Fibreandspice, I am very interested on food and memory. I grew up and Brazil and making food from my childhood is such a fulfilling experience. Hope it goes well when you make it!

7. Reblogged this on annamarie0177 and commented:
    Yum..Can’t wait to try this look so good, I love maple!!

1. great, hope you like it. It keeps really well!–Ellie