{edible gift} Spicy Chocolate-Dipped Almonds

Chocolate almonds are an easy project that children can participate in.  My eleven year-old niece Isabelle and I spent a relaxing half hour making them.  Most of the time is spent dipping the almonds in the chocolate mixture.  We decided to experiment with a “Mexican” flavor by adding cinnamon and cayenne pepper and we loved the outcome.  The recipe below creates a chocolate nut that is flavorful and just slightly spicy.  You won’t be sorry if you go out of your way to acquire high quality chocolate bars for this. I used Green and Black’s Organic 70% chocolate bars.

RECIPE: SPICY CHOCOLATE-DIPPED ALMONDS

INGREDIENTS
1 pound toasted almonds
two chocolate bars (7 ounces total), broken in to pieces
5 tablespoons cream
1 teaspoon powdered cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

EQUIPMENT
saucepan
parchment paper
baking sheets

METHODS

• Heat the cream and chocolate in a small saucepan and stir until smooth.  Stir in the spices.
  • Spread parchment paper on to two cookie sheets.  Dip each almond in to the chocolate mixture and lay it on the parchment paper. My three year-old daughter pitched in to help for the first half of the project.
  • Set the cookie sheets in to the refrigerator (or just place outside somewhere safe if it’s cold out, which is what we did) for about an hour to harden.
  • The monotony of dipping the nuts in to the chocolate creates the opportunity for lots of catching up and chatting, so this is a nice activity to do with family or friends.  The final product makes a nice gift (be sure to use pretty ribbon).  If you put these out in a bowl for guests to sample be prepared for the nuts to disappear quickly.

Advertisements

1. Ona says:

These look fantastic – can’t wait to try them. Do you have any idea how these or something similar can be made dairy free?

1. Alexis says:

I’m not sure what you could use instead of cream, since most non-dairy products lack the same thickness. Let me know if you come up with something. And enjoy – I think you’ll like them!

2. BubliBeauty says:

Such a lovely recipe . They look very tasty

1. Alexis says:

Thanks! They are tasty – I ate too many the evening after we made them.

3. What a Wonderful Treat as well as Gift!!! Thanks for sharing – Have a Great One:)

1. Alexis says:

Thanks! You too.

4. foodsparkle says:

Yum!! I wonder how they would turn out with almond milk instead of cream..

5. Alexis says:

Let me know if you try the recipe with almond milk. I’m sure flavor-wise they’d be great.

6. This look so delicious…Great for gifts!

Warm wishes,