{food policy} 2012 Farm Bill & My Trip to DC

I have some exciting news to share.

I will be one of two NYS constituents heading to DC for the National Sustainable Agricultural Coalition‘s  “Farmer Fly In” lobby days on March 5-7th to discuss the 2012 Farm Bill. More specifically, The Local Farms, Food & Jobs Act and The Beginning Farmer & Rancher Opportunity Act. I couldn’t be more excited, more nervous and more alive than when I think about the exciting venture of pounding the DC pavement to talk all about food.

Local food means local jobs.

Local food means a local economy with money staying in that community.

Local food means less land for McMansions and more land for farming.

Local food means less environmental footprint.

Local food means greater access to healthier, whole foods to its community.

Local foods means community; maybe its a Saturday, Sunday, Wednesday farmers market or on the farm conversation.

Local foods means a healthier community.

I am meeting with Kirsten Gillibrand, Chris Gibson (my district, 20th) and Bill Owens (23rd District), and Richard Hanna (24th District) and their agricultural point people to share my personal local foods/farming story (working for KFF, starting this here blog/food swap/outreach/crazy) and thoughts about the importance of shifting Farm Bill monies from subsidies (corn, soybean, cotton) to programs that will further increase the local foods & farming infrastructure in NYS and the country as a whole. I

Where you, the reader of FSC, come in —–>Please let me know your thoughts and concerns and I can bring them to your representatives on the 6th & 7th. Email me, see me at the market, stop me on the street… I want to bring our reps your thoughts! Comment here, email me at fromscratchclub (at) gmail (dot) com, or talk to us on Facebook or Twitter. I will blog/tweet/Facebook my way through this crazy trip (I haven’t been away from my hubs & son for two years!!!!!!!), for now, get me your thoughts!

If you would like to read more about those bills I mentioned AND the members of the House & Senate that support or co-sponsor said bills, you can find more information on the National Sustainable Agriculture Coalition’s Website:

The Local Farms, Food & Jobs Act
The Beginning Farmer & Rancher Opportunity Act
The Farm Bill in general

*A big THANK YOU to NOFA-NY for suggesting a member of From Scratch Club for this trip. I am so grateful for the opportunity.*

* All the glorious winter veggies seen here are from Kilpatrick Family Farm of course!

Advertisements

1. You are one busy woman! I admired your ambition! It looks like you have all the major points covered, so I’ll wish you good luck and safe travels!

2. Christine says:

No one will be a better advocate than you, Chris. Congrats on this amazing opportunity!

1. Christina says:

thank you Christine- I’m researching, researching & researching for this trip! Kicking butt & taking names 🙂

3. Betsy says:

That’s great Chris – so exciting!

1. Christina says:

Thanks Betsy.. I AM SO EXCITED! I’m counting the hours!

4. Chelle says:

This is wonderful! Thanks for bringing our concerns to D.C.!

1. Christina says:

Thanks Chelle!

5. Dianna says:

Yay! Tell Gibson not to run again while you are at it.

6. Jennifer H says:

Congratulations! I am proud for your opportunity and honored that you will represent. DC may not be prepared for your positive enthusiasm and energy on behalf of local food, but I know for sure you will leave that place better than you find it. Go get ’em!

1. Christina says:

WoW Jennifer, thank you for some seriously kind words. I’m so grateful for the opportunity, I feel like I’ve been working up to this point for a while…

7. John Larsen says:

This trip sounds like a great opportunity and your enthusiasm towards it has inspired me to investigate further on this legislation and the opportunites and obvious benefits it would bring to my little corner of the country. Best of luck to you and I look forward to your reports back from D.C.!

1. Christina says:

Thank you for your kind words John. Where is your corner of the country? I will do the best I can to express my passion for local foodshed EVERYWHERE.

8. Ona says:

Go Christina!
    I am confident that you represent so much of what local farming wants. Your strong and positive attitude will come across and make an impact!

1. Christina says:

Thanks Ona! I’m hoping to be the best I can. Its a huge responsibility and I am taking it very seriously!

9. Alexis says:

I’m proud to have you represent us Chris! So excited for you and for the changes this could lead to.