{recipe} Popovers: my latest breakfast obsession

Popovers are my latest food obsession.

Since having a baby a couple months ago, we’ve had guests staying with us periodically.  Despite being preoccupied with the baby, I love to cook and have been relieved to have something special for our visitors that doesn’t require excessive amounts of my time.  I have wonderful memories of eating popovers as a child and always assumed they were difficult to make.  Not true, in fact they are as simple as pancakes – maybe even easier.

I have been using Mark Bittman’s recipe for popovers, although I have found that most of the recipes I’ve come across are nearly identical.  I got the iPhone app for How to Cook Everything and love having it by my side in the kitchen.  Popovers seem to have a chemically delicate balance that if altered can produce a less-than-perfect outcome.  I don’t understand how they don’t have a rising agent in them and yet they get so big.  Has Alton Brown done an episode on popovers yet?

Popovers a la Mark Bittman

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.  Mix together the following:

1 tablespoon butter, melted and cooled
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon salt

Little by little add 1 cup flour to this mixture.  I have been using the hand mixer my husband gave me for Christmas to do this part.  You want to avoid lumps in the mixture.

Grease either a muffin tin, or better yet a popover tin (see below), and then fill each section about halfway or so with batter.    Mark recommends heating the tins in the oven prior to filling them, but I haven’t found this step to make much of a difference. I don’t worry if I spill a little on the pan because as the popovers rise the spills get absorbed.

Bake the popovers for 15 minutes at 425 degrees, and then reduce the temp to 350.  Do not open the oven! (but you may want to peak with the oven light to see the amazing transformation)  Serve them immediately, since that’s when they are most puffy.  If you are eating them for breakfast, try them with honey, any jam or preserves, or cream cheese.  I prefer strawberry jam.

I also like my popovers with scrambled eggs at breakfast (so does Mark Bittman), but they would be a wonderful addition to many meals, including lunch and dinner.  When we have some left over, which is rare, we easily eat them up throughout the day.

Advertisements

1. Reblogged this on nantucket kitchens and commented:
    Popovers, Yorkshire Pudding and Dutch Baby’s oh my!
    Not just for dinner any more.
    Growing up when we had our first oven with with a window, the world of oven magic was never more exciting than when my Mom made yorkshire pudding.
    The quietest 40 minutes ever as the four children in our chaotic home would huddle in front of the oven window and watch the magic mountains of golden happiness develop and grow.

1. Alexis says:

How cool! You remind me that I really need to try making a Yorkshire Pudding too.

2. domaphile says:

I love this! Popovers with jam or blueberry butter are a “breakfast in bed” birthday tradition in our house. Delicious!

1. Alexis says:

How sweet! I’d love to know what blueberry butter is like.

3. Barbara says:

Your popovers are wonderful – have you considered making a Dutch Baby ????

1. Alexis says:

Another project to tackle.

4. I just bought my first popover pan this fall… can’t wait to try this recipe! Thanks for getting me excited for popovers all over again!

1. Alexis says:

Let me know how it goes Deanna!

5. Becky says:

I am having the same obsession! I just got a popover pan for my birthday and my first try was a cinnamon roll popover (recipe borrowed from Cooking with Mel), they were divine. I want to make some herbed ones and really want to try Yorkshire pudding!

6. Dianna says:

I went through a popover craze when my kids were small, thanks for reminding me. I will make them for my granddaughter when she comes up next time.

7. Brb says:

as a lurker can I say that I love popovers, although for us they get mainly used for dinner…..in which case any choice of herbs and even small amounts of cheese can be added depending on your heart’s desire.

8. Isabelle says:

The popover recipe was awesome! Thank you for the popover pan you gave me for Christmas. This morning, I made the popovers for breakfast again. We ran out of flour, so I had to use pancake mix instead. Surprisingly they still tasted exactly like regular popovers. I had mine with peanut butter and cinnamon sugar. John had a straight up plain popover. Ben will have one later, probably with jelly.

1. Alexis says:

I am soooo glad you are getting use out of the pan Isabelle! I like the idea of putting peanut butter on them too. So glad you read this blogpost! Thanks!