{edible gift} homemade chai concentrate

As an avid chai drinker, I was ecstatic to stumble upon the realization that I could make my own creamy, spicy chai concentrate! This recipe is a cinch to make- just add the ingredients to a jar and stir- and is a perfect from-scratch holiday gift. You can make several batches at once and bottle them up in recycled jars to give to family, friends and coworkers. Each batch makes one 14-oz jar and each jar will yield approximately 10-12 servings of chai tea/coffee/chai-flavored hot chocolate. The variations are endless. Start saving old jars now and by the time holidays roll around, you will be ready to package up your very own homemade chai concentrate.

Homemade Chai Concentrate
(inspired by a recipe found by Angry Chicken)
  • 1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Mix all of the ingredients together in a jar.  Done! Looking for a dairy-free chai concentrate? Substitute cream of coconut for the sweetened condensed milk using a 1:1 ratio! Easy, and just as delicious.

Directions for Use
Add two heaping teaspoons to a strong cup of coffee, hot chocolate, warmed milk or black tea, such as Assam, or more to taste.  Stir well and enjoy.  Refrigerate concentrate for up to six months.

I love having this mix on hand- it’s rich, creamy & indulgent and a great way to warm up on a cold night. Package a jar of homemade chai concentrate with loose Assam tea, a tea strainer and a big mug for a great holiday gift. Or for the coffee-lover, maybe give a jar with a bag of home-roasted coffee & a mug…. Oh decisions decisions!

1. Becky says:

awesome. i have some chai drinkers in my family. this will be perfect!

2. Jennifer H says:

Thank you! This looks delicious and easy. I may whip up a batch while visiting family for Thanksgiving, but in the meantime I’m going to make some for myself🙂

3. Heather F. says:

This is so great! I can’t wait to try out the milk-free version!

1. Christine says:

I didn’t want my dairy-free friends to miss out… the coconut cream version is just as decadent-tasting and delicious.

4. This looks delish! Can’t wait to try!

5. SaratogaMama says:

Yippee! So glad I found this. Screw the gift, I LOVE chai and always have store-bought concentrate on hand. Can’t wait to try this.

1. Christine says:

It’s awesome in coffee and hot cocoa too🙂

6. Krys says:

Cream of coconut is not the same as coconut milk is it? Would coconut milk be too thin?

1. Christine says:

Krys, nope cream of coconut is different than coconut milk. I’ve tried coconut milk and while it works, it is a bit too thin and not quite as delicious. I also needed to add more sugar when I used it, since it isn’t as sweet as the coconut cream. Good luck!

7. Well well well, I do believe Cafe Nero will be losing my business this Christmas. I have found my saviour and it comes in a bottle with a gift tag.
    Thank you Christine!

8. Libby says:

I LOVE this recipe! Such a great gift idea.

1. Christine says:

Thanks Libby! It’s so very easy, you could even whip it up last-minute as a holiday or hostess gift.

9. BillyBob says:

I was just at my friends place and she was making Masala Chai Ice Cream. I am kinda of obsessed with it now and was looking for some good recipes. This looks great and simple.
    This is on my list of things to make in the soon to get colder Albany winter.

Thank you.

1. christine says:

Masala Chai Ice Cream?! Share the recipe, please!🙂

1. BillyBob says:

I know she made the base using a custard made in a double boiler then added the spice blend. I will track down the recipe and share.

10. Jennifer H says:

We so enjoyed the Chai concentrate over the holidays (self gift) that I just made a new batch! This time I attempted homemade condensed milk too. It turned out so well I’m going to continue to tweak it every time I need to make another batch of the Chai mix. Thanks again for this new obsession, and for the inspiration to learn something else in the process!

1. christine says:

Awesome! Let us know if you come up with any great variations or tweaks to the recipe. And homemade condensed milk?! So cool. Maybe you can write a guest post on that??😉

11. Kristi says:

Love Chai Tea, cannot wait to try this and love the prospect for holiday gifting! Thank you.