{Enjoying} Swiss Chard: Quiche

I love quiches. They are my go-to dish and since I am a total cheater and use store-bought pie crusts, they are really easy to make. It doesn’t matter what kind of veggies you have on hand, you can somehow turn them into a quiche filling. Although now that I think about it, carrots might be weird in one and some other root vegetables also might not quite work. My point is, though, that quiches are ultra versatile. So when a giant bundle of rainbow chard arrived in my CSA delivery last week, I immediately settled on making a rainbow chard quiche.

Rainbow Chard Quiche
Ingredients

• 1 store-bought refrigerated or frozen pie crust (or, if you must, go ahead and make your own crust and show it off proudly)
  • 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1/4 cup chopped red onion
  • 1 bunch of rainbow chard, stems removed and sliced thinly, leaves ripped into bite-sized pieces
  • 1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup 1/2 + 1/2
  • salt and pepper

Directions

1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Unroll your pie crust in a pie plate (skip this step if yours is the frozen kind that comes in a foil plate). Sprinkle 1/4 cup of the Swiss cheese on the crust and set aside. You could, of course, use any type of cheese you have on hand. I’ve made quiches with cheddar, mozzarella, feta, muenster, pepper jack, monterey jack, goat cheese and probably others.
  2. Heat the oil over medium heat in a large skillet and add in the red onion, garlic and rainbow chard stems. Cook for about 6-8 minutes or until everything is soft and fragrant. Reduce heat to medium-low and add in the rainbow chard leaves, cooking for just a few minutes more until just wilted. Add all of this to your pie crust.
  3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and the 1/2 + 1/2. I’ve also used milk, light cream and a blend of these here and they all work fine and result in just slight texture differences. Season with salt and pepper and throw in any other herbs you’d like. Dried spices work wonderfully too.  Pour the egg mixture into the pie crust and top with remaining cheese. Bake quiche for about 45 minutes or until the egg is set and the top has started to brown up a bit.

Let it cool for 10 minutes before slicing (trust me) and enjoy for breakfast, lunch or dinner! A small green salad and a glass of chilled white wine go particularly well with quiches, in my experience.

Advertisements

1. Jim says:

Do real men eat Quiche ?

1. Christine says:

Real men who know WHAT’S UP do!

2. Drew says:

I’m surprised you can fit three of Mike’s eggs into one pie shell. I also make a lot of Quiche, but the eggs are so fluffy I’ve learned to stop at two. – Drew

1. Christine says:

Ah yes, I should have mentioned that this particular crust was “deep dish” style. For other crusts, I’ve sometimes only used 2 eggs and reduced the cream/milk to 2/3 cup.

3. Erika T. says:

I’m making this tonight! I can’t wait.

4. Meg says:

Any suggestions on how to prepare in advance? (ie “bake for 20 minutes, refrigerate, finish in the morning” or something?)

1. Christine says:

If you are preparing it less than 24 hours in advance, I’ve combined everything together right in the pie crust (egg mixture, cheese, filling) and refrigerated it as is. I’m sure there is some culinary rule about not doing so, but I’ve never had any adverse effects or found that it negatively affects the crust at all. Quiches also hold up surprisingly well to freezing, so you could always bake the quiche entirely, let cool and then freeze it for another time. I never thought it would work since it is egg-based but it does 🙂

5. Bryon says:

Everyone loves what you guys are usually up too.
    This sort of clever work and coverage! Keep up the great works guys I’ve added you guys to my personal blogroll.