WINTER MARKETS: SATURDAYS, 9am-1pm unless otherwise noted.
Glens Falls Winter Market, Christ Church United, 54 Bay Street, Glens Falls , 9am – Noon (through April)
Saratoga Farmers Market: Division Street Elementary School, 220 Division Street. (through April)
Schenectady Greenmarket: inside Proctors, State Street, (10am-2pm SUNDAY, through April)
Troy Farmers Market: Uncle Sam Atrium, Broadway @ 3rd. (through April)
According to All Over Albany, many of the area’s ice cream stand have opened including Kurver Kream on Central Avenue in Albany and Snowman in Troy and Martha’s in Lake George (across from Great Escape) opens today.
I just did some additional ice cream research and found out that a 2007 “Throwdown with Bobby Flay” contestant, Ice Cream Man, opened last night!
The Upper Hudson Maple Producers Association’s Open House Weekends, March 19 and 20 and 26 and 27. Free tours of sugarhouses, witness sap made into syrup (the big boil). Since spring is taking a looooooong time to get here, this sounds like the perfect thing to do with the kiddos. Drive around, enjoy the sights & sounds and see maple syrup making in person!
Signs will be placed along the road during the weekends to direct motorists to sugarhouses, which will be open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. each day. Most sugarhouses will offer samples and demonstrations, and many will be serving pancakes breakfasts as well.
Sugarhouses are located in Washington, Warren, Saratoga, Rensselaer, Fulton and Hamilton counties:
• Mapleland Farms, Salem, 854-7669
• Dry Brook Sugarhouse, Salem, 854-3955
• Sugar Mill Farm, Greenwich, 692-2486
• Grottoli’s Maple, Middle Granville, 642-2856
• Highland Maple Farm, Argyle, 638-8586
• Rathbun’s Maple Sugarhouse, North Granville, 642-1799
• Valley Road Maple, Thurman, 623-9783
• Adirondack Gold Maple Farm, Thurman, 623-9718
• Toad Hill Maple Farm, Thurman, 623-4744
• Maple Valley Farm, Corinth, 654-9752
• Mud Road Sugarhouse, Ephratah, 863-6313
• Frasier’s Sugar Shack, St. Johnsville, 568-7438
• Kent’s Sugarhouse, Berlin, 658-2134
• McComb’s Oak Hill Maple Farm, Speculator, 548-6105
• Nightingale’s Maple Farm, Galway, 882-9334
• Peaceful Valley Maple Farms, Johnstown, 762-0491
• Rashcher’s Sugar House, Shushan, 854-3770
• Wild Hill Maple, Salem, 854-7272
Saratoga Springs’ Restaurant Week is upon us! Albany.com: “The Second Annual Saratoga County 2011 Restaurant Week! During the 10-day celebration of Saratoga County restaurants, you?ll find three course fixed price meals for $20.11 at over 20 participating restaurants.” From March 18- 27th. The list of the wonderful LOCAL restaurants participating are here.
On March 20th, from 4pm onward, at family-owned & operated, Pasta Pane, in Clifton Park will be hosting “Raising Dough” a unique way to work with our guests to support not-for-profit organizations on a monthly basis. On the third Sunday of each month, a patron can choose to have 30% of their guest check donated to the featured non-profit. March 20th is The Regional Food Bank of Northeastern NY.
Saturday, March 26th is cookie bake-off time at the Saratoga Farmers Market. From the press release:
1. Anyone can enter
2. Bring your two dozen cookies by 9:30am to the market table
3. Cookies must include at least 2 market ingredients, identified by product and vendor (bonus points if you use more than 2!)
4. Judges: a baker, a male student, a grandmother (names being w/held so they cannot be bribed)
5. Cookies will be judged on TASTE, Use of Market Ingredients (Originality), Looks
6. From 1:15-11am cookies will be made available for public tasting and popular choice vote (taste only).
7. Judging to take place at 11am with winner announced before noon!
Judges Award: $25.00 Market Gift Certificate
Popular Choice Award: $15.00 Market Gift Cert.
Wednesday, March 30th: The New York State Office of American Farmland Trust will be holding their 2nd Annual “No Farms No Food Lobby Day” at the State Capital from 9:30-4pm. From the press release: Join farmers, food advocates, local officials, environmentalists and other New Yorkers to meet with legislators at the State Capitol about the critical importance of farms and food to New York State’s economy and food security.” There will be transportation from NYC to Albany. I LOVE lobby days, and plan on being in attendance for this important day of action. More information on their site.
“The Mirror Lake Inn Resort and Spa is hosting the 6th Annual Adirondack Festival of Food & Wine, March 31-April 3, 2011. The popular 4-day food and wine celebration will feature wine tastings, culinary demonstrations, seminars, a cooking competition and a 7-course dinner prepared by the inns Executive Chef, Jarrad Lang, along with his culinary team and visiting master chefs and vintners from around the country.
This years festival features the theme “Elegant International Street Foods,” a unique spin on the prevailing food industry trend of focusing on street fare. The festivals menu and events are designed to reflect indigenous ingredients and culturally rich preparations of regional cuisines.”
Finally, on Sunday, April 3rd Congregation Gates Heaven in Schenectady is hosting a Jewish Food Festival. Hours 12-4pm.