Bagels

Summer time has us on the road a lot, so I wanted to make something that would be fast to eat in the morning, travel well, and possibly freeze well too.  I chose Bagels- not fast to make (only down side) but fast to eat.  I got out my newest cookbook- Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day, by Jeff Hertzerg and Zoe Francois, turned to page 122 and began the process ( I must admit I was intimidated by all the steps).

First mixing the dough- I did not follow the recipe to a T- I used 100% Whole Wheat bread flour, this was the only change I made.

Then Forming, Boiling, and Baking the Bagels-  Getting the size of the bagels just right is tricky- the books says about the size of a small peach, but I would say like tangerine size/or a little bigger than a golf ball.

The boiling and baking was easy- just make sure you have all your materials and utensils in place before you being.  The taste was ok, next time I will do half whole wheat flour, half white flour they were a bit heavy.

I topped the bagels with a creamy goat cheese and chives mixture.

1/4 C Cream cheese

1/3 C Goat Cheese I used The Painted Goat– which I purchase at the Schenectady Green Market

1 Bunch Chives chopped -I hold the bunch in my hand and cut them into tiny pieces with my food scissors(from my garden)

Mix together and enjoy!

Advertisements

1. Chuck says:

That’s downright beautiful. I’ll have to coax Chris into making a gluten and dairy-free version!

1. Christina says:

Ok Hubby, I’ll get on that right away 🙂

1. Leslie says:

Master Chef/Super Mama Chris can tackle that, no doubt. 🙂 I personally wouldn’t know where to begin…your recipe adaptation skills are mad, Chris. 😉

2. Emma says:

I was trying to think of something good to reply with- how about my husband is a teacher and home for the summer, so while I cook he watch’s (or attempts to watch) the kids. Wait tell Chuck takes a vacation!!!!!! I agree with Leslie:)

2. Amanda says:

My hubbie is the bread baker in the family and I have put in my request!

3. Jes says:

Hey Emma, the healthy artisan bread book has the recipe for whole wheat bagels in it.

1. Emma says:

Thanks Jes! I bought the other first- would you mind replying to the comment with the healthy whole wheat version? Thanks