{Eggs} Two Recipes: Three Ingredients

This Spring we were able to make arrangements again for an egg share. Every two weeks we get 2 dozen eggs from Soul Fire Farm. The eggs are priced on a sliding scale $4-6 per dozen.  This experience is the next best thing to having chickens. We have been fostering 3 baby chicks as we contemplate a chicken coop.

Some people argue that they do not like the taste of eggs and work on masking them in their food. I do not like the taste of “factory farm” eggs. Eggs are a large source of protein for our family. What I do want to taste in my eggs is the terroir (some translate as a sense of place).

I want to taste the farm’s soil and chicken forage. I want to see the orange color yolk and hold those blue eggs as I crack the shells.

I do have a thing for recipes that call for 3 ingredients so I thought of sharing a Foraged Green Frittata and a Sponge cake. For the cake, I did a remake adapted from recipes shared by my friends Anya Merritt and Lia Magidson.

3 eggs, a bunch of foraged dandelion greens and wild chives

3 eggs, a bunch of foraged dandelion greens and wild chives

{RECIPE} FORAGED GREEN FRITTATA

1. Set oven to broil to preheat
  2. In an oven safe pan (I used a 8 1/2 inch cast iron), add olive oil to coat the pan and cook the greens until just wilted.
  3. Add 3 beaten eggs to the cooked greens
  4. Place the oven safe pan under broiler in the middle rack of the oven, for about 5 minutes until golden and eggs cooked. Check around 3 minutes as ovens may vary in temperature.
Foraged Fritatta

Finished Foraged Fritatta

{RECIPE} WHOLE WHEAT MAPLE SPONGE CAKE

1. Pre-heat oven 350 F
  2. Beat eggs until it triples in volume, about 7 minutes
  3. Incorporate maple syrup slowly, beating for another 2 minutes
  4. Stir in flour being careful not to break all the bubbles.
  5. Bake in a oiled and floured 8 1/2 inch cast iron pan for 23 to 25 minutes

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Categories: CSA, Foraging, Local Farms, recipe

Author:Ellie M

I am a multimedia storyteller and creator of storycooking.com. I use food as a starting point for conversations. My journey started when I realized food and cameras are at the center of my life and art. Food and cameras are the tools I use to communicate and build interpersonal connections and community. I live in Troy, New York with my husband, two children and our dog Abi. I was born in Brazil and spent most of my childhood weekends on my grandparents’ small farm. There was a story behind everything we did with our food, from how it was picked to how it was cut and cooked.

11 Comments on “{Eggs} Two Recipes: Three Ingredients”

1. May 28, 2014 at 10:02 am #

yummy :)

2. May 28, 2014 at 10:27 am #

Reblogged this on Story Cooking and commented:
    thank you FSC for sharing my egg share post and recipes.

3. May 28, 2014 at 11:08 am #

Great post, eggs are the most used ingredient in my kitchen, next to peppers :) I have a hard time finding a local place where I can get fresh eggs. I will keep searching, or maybe start a coop.

• May 28, 2014 at 6:00 pm #

Thank you. We fostered chicks last month and are learning and maybe we too can get a coop someday. When Soul Fire Farm egg share is over, I try to trade with friends, we get them from farmer’s market or from our local food co-op, it is worth looking for them. All Best–Ellie

4. May 28, 2014 at 12:02 pm #

I *LOVE* Soul Fire Farm! We’ve been getting the eggs all winter also, and I’m looking forward to the CSA starting again this summer.

• May 28, 2014 at 6:03 pm #

Oh yes, they are just wonderful Gina! I visited them this past weekend and the farm is looking great! Delicious veggies coming your way!

5. Dianna
    May 29, 2014 at 9:05 am #

I can hardly wait to try the maple cake, that looks so interesting. Thank you.

• June 1, 2014 at 3:21 pm #

Hope you like it Dianna. It had the right amount of sweetness for our family (to even have cake for breakfast :)

6. June 2, 2014 at 8:38 am #

My mother had eggs for a while, and when I visited I was treated to fabulous fresh eggs, with incredible flavor. Sometimes duck eggs as well. But she also fed her animals very well, which also makes a difference in flavor. I’ve contemplated having chickens, but unfortunately, we travel too often. If I could, I would! Wonderful fritatta!

• June 4, 2014 at 9:21 pm #

yes, you make a great point about taking care that the animals are fed well. We just had hard boiled eggs for dinner tonight with some roasted potatoes and a green salad– I appreciate these eggs so much!
      –Ellie

1. {Summer Drink} Maple-Sweetened Lemonade | FROM SCRATCH CLUB - June 20, 2014

[…] Serve over ice with a slice of lemon as garnish, if you are feeling fancy. Wouldn’t a glass go perfectly with a slice of Maple Sponge Cake? […]