{fsc classes} My Flour Evangelism at the New HWFC

1012119_593519780687245_757203119_n

Honest Weight Food Coop has a new store, and I got to break in the new teaching kitchen. The day after it opened, I offered a Flour Tour and treated a dozen people to my flour evangelism.

The gist of this mission is to use whole grain flours, preferably stone milled, and made from grains grown nearby. I used Farmer Ground Flour because they are the perfect example of these properties. The flours I get from them are stone milled from organic grains grown in New York, mostly around Ithaca.

Flour Tour class

I love their flavor, freshness, and the way they work in the bowl. I made buckwheat rye crepes for the class to show off these flours, and the combination is now at the top of my list. I wake up in the morning and my mouth wanders there.

I loved telling people what I know about grains and flour. I wasn’t sure how I’d fill the time, but more than an hour flew by. I talked about how they are grown, and how they are milled. People had good questions about how flour works. I couldn’t answer some questions about nutrition – like what is the most nutritious flour. I have as many questions about that as answers.

Is flour nutritious at all? Shouldn’t we just eat whole grains? Don’t ask me to go down the Paleo Path. There I will not go.

Nutrition is such a roulette wheel – each answer I have is countered by other things I’ve read. Anything I say feels like it could be undermined by the next round of guidance, so I try to deliver everything with that caveat.

We ate the crepes with scapes and yogurt and feta, like the recipe I posted here. I passed around jars with samples from the other New York State mills, North Country Farms and Champlain Valley Milling.

Flour Tour

The room at Honest Weight is great – a super oven, nice light from a wall of windows. What a nice place to be with people and exchange information. I got to see the classroom from the other side a few days later as Nicci Cagan taught fermentation. Francis and I are already devouring the beautiful pink kraut we made that day. Sure, it could have sat longer on the counter, but we were eager!

1014617_593166537389236_517179683_o

Colie Collen has a whole slew of classes planned, and is open to suggestions. What do you want to know? She can find someone to show you.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Categories: Classes, FSC Academy, Grains, Grains Brains Challenge, recipe

Author:Amy Halloran

I live on half an urban acre with my husband, two sons, and any number of chickens. I write about food and agriculture, and my stories are at amyhalloran.net. I blog about my family's food escapades at amyhalloran.com

7 Comments on “{fsc classes} My Flour Evangelism at the New HWFC”

1. July 3, 2013 at 10:04 am #

Happy Birthday! I just am a total fool for flour — grain flour mostly, except buckwheat is not a true grain. To each our own obsessions. Coconut flour does intrigue me of course. I will have to give it a whirl.

2. July 3, 2013 at 1:16 pm #

This class was magical! Thank you, Amy! I can’t wait to have you back for more.

• July 5, 2013 at 8:49 am #

My absolute pleasure, Colie. Looking forward to more.

3. Mary
    July 5, 2013 at 8:46 am #

I enjoyed the class and will be signing up for many more! Thank you

• July 5, 2013 at 8:48 am #

Glad you liked it Mary! I love to talk about flour.

4. July 8, 2013 at 11:01 am #

Hi Amy! I’m with you. I have a question for you: I just bought some sorghum flour on a whim and not sure what to do with it. I’m not GF so I only bought it for fun, and all the recipes I find assume I’m after a GF recipe. I figure I can just sub it in a bit for regular flour (like any other GF flour) but was curious if you had any particular recommendations as I don’t know what it tastes like. While we’re at it, I also have some triticale…

5. July 8, 2013 at 11:53 am #

Hmm — sorghum I am plum dumb on. I’ve never tried it. Triticale is another story. It is a cross between rye and wheat, and I believe you can use it just as you would wheat; it is bred for the hearty growing qualities of rye but the baking qualities of wheat. If I were making bread I’d go halves with some whole wheat just to get a feel for it. Pancakes, I’d just sub it for whole wheat.

From a quick look at this website, http://www.sorghum.state.ne.us/publications/sorghumrecipes.htm, it seems like sorghum needs some amping to behave like wheat flours. If you don’t want to get those extras, I think that playing in small proportions to see how it works is the route to choose. I’d suggest a third sorghum flour to 2/3 whole wheat or all purpose, and see how it works. With any recipe but bread that is. Cookies and pancakes and quick breads are great because you don’t need much lift from them anyway. Using a majority of wheat flour should hold things together. Let me know how it does!