{drink it up} Strawberry Pucker

I don’t know about you, but I’m nearly up to my eyeballs in strawberries. And that’s saying a lot, considering strawberries didn’t fare so well here in Upstate New York (with a early heat wave and late frost) and that I’m only processing about half of what I usually process each year. From jam, popsicles, and fruit leather to salads, dressings, muffins and shortcake (and don’t forget freezing, pie, and even cupcakes), we go through a lot of strawberries at my house.

But my favorite way to consume berry-goodness is perhaps via methods most would consider an afterthought. I take tremendous pleasure in spooning off the foam from jam into a bowl, letting it cool slightly, and then slurping it up unapologetically (it’s like candy, people!). And what about the sweet syrup that remains after the last of the macerated strawberries have been lovingly ladled on top of flaky biscuits and cloud-like whipped cream? Dang that stuff is good. When I feel compelled to do more with it than simply drink it down, I mix it with a few choice spirits to make a perfect summer cocktail.

COCKTAIL RECIPE: STRAWBERRY PUCKER
{makes one cocktail}

INGREDIENTS

1/2 ounce limoncello*
2 ounces (1/4 cup) leftover strawberry shortcake syrup**
2 ounces (1/4 cup) vodka
1/2 ounce Campari
Ice
Strawberries for garnish (optional)

METHOD

In a boston shaker filled with ice, combine limoncello, strawberry syrup, vodka and Campari. Cover and shake well. Strain into a martini glass and garnish with strawberries (float them, skewer them, or create a slit in the middle and hang on the edge of the glass). Enjoy!

NOTES

*If you don’t have limoncello, you can use lemon juice and a teensy bit of honey or agave nectar

**Not making strawberry shortcake? No worries – just mash 1/2 cup of sliced strawberries with a tablespoon of sugar and strain out the juice

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Categories: Booze, Fruit, recipe

Author:Deanna

Deanna N. Fox is a twentysomething entrepreneur and writer. She lives in Delanson, NY on an old farm and apple orchard with her four year old daughter Edith, and three year old son Eric (and a bunch of mangy animals). Deanna is dedicated to leading a stylish, sustainable lifestyle (while having fun!) and teaching others how to live similarly regardless of living situation via her blog Silly Goose Farm. Deanna was raised on similar principles amongst farms in Chenango County, NY, and believes that most of the world's problems can be solved by first ensuring everyone has access to good, wholesome food. When not hatching up new business ideas, renovating the farm or playing the in the dirt, Deanna can be found obsessing over boats, practicing for the World Bocce Championship with an adult libation in hand, or holding impromptu dance parties with her kids. More about Deanna can be found at www.deannafox.org.

11 Comments on “{drink it up} Strawberry Pucker”

1. June 21, 2012 at 8:57 am #

I had a strawberry marathon of jamming (4 different kinds) and freezing and thought I was super-efficient to get it all done already, but I’ll have to go into the freezer and defrost one of the containers of strawberries I froze already to try this – serves me right for being speedy! I wonder if you can use a spoonful of jam instead? I bet that would be tasty, too.

• June 21, 2012 at 10:11 am #

Hi Ingrid! Thanks for your comment. Jam might be a little thick for this cocktail (since you need the cold, syrupy juice of the strawberries), but you don’t have to limit yourself to just strawberries! This cocktail would still be awesome if you swapped out the strawberry juice for raspberry or orange juice. The fun thing about cocktails is there really is no end to what you can make, so feel free to experiment. I’d love to hear what you come up with (or, if you use the jam, let me know how it goes)!

And wow, 4 kinds of strawberry jam? That’s awesome! I actually make my strawberry jam with a splash of Triple Second – I bet if you added a little of the limoncello and/or Campari in the cocktail to some jam (the alcohol burns off, leaving just the citrusy/bitter brightness to emphasis the strawberries), you could have a mean “strawberry pucker” jam! Good luck with the rest of your canning endeavors!

2. Kate H.
    June 21, 2012 at 4:59 pm #

Made some strawberry vodka, I wonder if I use that and some simple syrup if it will work out the same.

• June 22, 2012 at 8:57 am #

Hey Kate! Definitely try it out and let me know how it goes. Fellow FSC contributor Christine made some strawberry tequila (I believe) for a food swap last year and people were clamoring for it! Strawberry-infused liquor makes my little heart flutter :)

3. June 21, 2012 at 11:26 pm #

Oh wow! Sounds amazing! And, I have all of it. Well, I don’t campari…but the rest! Yum!

• June 22, 2012 at 8:58 am #

Campari is tasty, you should definitely pick some up! I really like it over ice, topped with club soda and a wedge of lime (I ordered this out once, and the barkeep added some grapefruit vodka – so good!). Happy drinking!

4. June 22, 2012 at 1:45 am #

Yum! Gotta love Limoncello!

5. June 22, 2012 at 5:45 am #

That sounds so great!!!!!!!!!! I’ll try to make it for the next party in my house :) thanks!!!

• June 22, 2012 at 9:05 am #

That’s a great idea! I love having a pitcher of a tasty cocktail available for guests when they arrive (I recently did this with my Rosie Collins recipe, and it was a big hit!).

If you want to make a pitcher-sized Strawberry Pucker, here’s how to do it (serves 12):

In a pitcher, combine:
      - 3/4 cup limoncello
      - 3 cups strawberry syrup
      - 3 cups vodka
      - 3/4 cup Campari

Stir to incorporate. Top off with strawberry lemonade ice cubes (put strawberries in an ice cube tray and top with lemonade or lemon juice. Freeze until solid).

If you wanted you could also top this off with Club Soda to make it fizzy and extra-refreshing!

Have fun!

1. {from scratch holidays} Building A Home Bar 101 | FROM SCRATCH CLUB - December 12, 2012

[...] Strawberry Pucker Cocktail [...]