{how to} Dehydrator Swiss Chard Chips

My cold weather crops are currently in full swing and I have buckets and buckets of lettuce,  kale, swiss chard, rhubarb chard and rainbow chard. I needed something to do with all of the chard, other than freezing and plain dehydrating. Last year my kale chips were a big hit with the family so I decided to try out the same recipe for chard. When dehyrated at a low setting, it’s a raw food with plenty of nutrients like vitamins A, K, and C.

HOW TO: DEHYDRATOR SWISS CHARD CHIPS

EQUIPMENT

Food Dehydrator- Mine is a 9 tray Excalibur
Editor’s Note: I have this one, not fancy or big, but it works & can easily be stored! -Christina

INGREDIENTS

10-14 stalks of Chard, depending on the size of the leaf
1/2 Lemon
Kosher salt
1- 1 1/2 tablespoons Honey (do not over use or the chips will stick to the trays)
1/4 cup neutral oil such as canola
Optional: Paprika, garlic powder

Step by Step Method: a photo diary

Rinse stalks and pat dry.

Remove leaves from the stem. Tear the chard into about 2 inch pieces.

Remove leaves from the stem. Tear the chard into about 2 inch pieces. Place in a large bowl,  the leaves start out nice and fluffy

{my little helpers}

Save your stems and chop for soup or stir-fry. My rabbits are a big fan of the stems.

Add ¼ cup of oil, squeeze out ½ lemon over the leaves.

Mix well and let it sit for about 4 minutes.

Drizzle 1/2 of the honey over chard, stir, and drizzle the remaining honey again. Optional: Add your favorite seasoning combination. These salts that my dad smoked for me are a favorite.

Spread out onto 4 dehydrator trays, without over lap.

Place in dehydrator for 8 hours at 110 degrees.

Store dehydrated chips in an air tight container.

Leftover chard makes a nice little salad and dressing.

ENJOY!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Categories: Food Preservation, recipe, Vegetables

14 Comments on “{how to} Dehydrator Swiss Chard Chips”

1. June 20, 2012 at 8:03 am #

Cool! How do they taste? Are they crunchy?

• Heather F.
      June 20, 2012 at 10:43 am #

The chard is wispy and maybe not 100% crunchy. In my experience, kale is definitely crispy. I think they taste great, especially with some great seasonings. I traded in my late night popcorn or potato chip snack for these.

2. June 20, 2012 at 8:29 am #

This is such an awesome idea.

3. jammychick
    June 20, 2012 at 9:19 am #

I dehydrated kale last year and it smelled BAD! It absolutely reeked! Will the chard be as stinky? It might require leaving windows open overnight (or setting the dehydrator up on the porch…)

• Heather F.
      June 20, 2012 at 10:38 am #

Wow! I’ve never had kale or chard smell bad. It should smell leafy but not bad. I do my dehydrating in the garage or mud room.

4. December 13, 2012 at 1:03 am #

So relieved to see this! I had fresh chard on the “verge” of going bad from a friends organic farm and was sad that it was about to go into the compost. But I rinsed and cut into bite sized pieces and put in to dry. Afterward I was reading about veggies as I am new to this and thought…..”Was I supposed to blanch first?” But now reading this, I know it will be crunchy and flavorful and I can rehydrate and add to anything I please for sweet God given nutrition. Keep giving all you do. So many of us are blessed by it!

5. June 13, 2013 at 7:16 pm #

I like how you spice it up with a bit of lemon and honey- I have to try that! I used olive oil only, on my kale- it was delicious. (I don’t think I’d used canola oil, since it’s GMO…)
    Oh, and I DID notice the smell! Smelled like a cabbage farm! There are worse smells though, right?

6. kathleen moore
    October 10, 2013 at 2:04 pm #

WHAT ABOUT THE STALKS? , can you dehydrate them?

• November 7, 2013 at 9:36 pm #

Kathleen, personally I don’t think the stalks would be that delicious dehydrated but you could always try!

• November 7, 2013 at 10:36 pm #

Do not bother with the stalks! I tried… not too good : /
      I processed the dry kale, to put in smoothies; alas, those dried stalk bits did not chop up- very fibrous!

7. July 28, 2014 at 5:49 pm #

I can’t wait to try this! Does anyone know how long they last? I was planning on storing in mason jars.

1. Veggie Chips « Acrobatic Thoughts - July 19, 2012

[...] {how to} Dehydrator Swiss Chard Chips (fromscratchclub.com) [...]

2. Swiss Chard Burger – Top Secret! « jittery cook - August 11, 2012

[...] {how to} Dehydrator Swiss Chard Chips (fromscratchclub.com) [...]

3. Tried & True, Or Dried & True? Open Season for Dehydraters | Grateful Table - June 15, 2013

[…] my next experiment, I’ll trying something more like the recipe posted on the “From Scratch Club” site. For Swiss chard, they suggest adding some lemon and honey too. I’ll skip the […]