{how to} Dehydrator Swiss Chard Chips

My cold weather crops are currently in full swing and I have buckets and buckets of lettuce,  kale, swiss chard, rhubarb chard and rainbow chard. I needed something to do with all of the chard, other than freezing and plain dehydrating. Last year my kale chips were a big hit with the family so I decided to try out the same recipe for chard. When dehyrated at a low setting, it’s a raw food with plenty of nutrients like vitamins A, K, and C.

HOW TO: DEHYDRATOR SWISS CHARD CHIPS

EQUIPMENT

Food Dehydrator- Mine is a 9 tray Excalibur
Editor’s Note: I have this one, not fancy or big, but it works & can easily be stored! -Christina

INGREDIENTS

10-14 stalks of Chard, depending on the size of the leaf
1/2 Lemon
Kosher salt
1- 1 1/2 tablespoons Honey (do not over use or the chips will stick to the trays)
1/4 cup neutral oil such as canola
Optional: Paprika, garlic powder

Step by Step Method: a photo diary

Rinse stalks and pat dry.

Remove leaves from the stem. Tear the chard into about 2 inch pieces.

Remove leaves from the stem. Tear the chard into about 2 inch pieces. Place in a large bowl,  the leaves start out nice and fluffy

{my little helpers}

Save your stems and chop for soup or stir-fry. My rabbits are a big fan of the stems.

Add ¼ cup of oil, squeeze out ½ lemon over the leaves.

Mix well and let it sit for about 4 minutes.

Drizzle 1/2 of the honey over chard, stir, and drizzle the remaining honey again. Optional: Add your favorite seasoning combination. These salts that my dad smoked for me are a favorite.

Spread out onto 4 dehydrator trays, without over lap.

Place in dehydrator for 8 hours at 110 degrees.

Store dehydrated chips in an air tight container.

Leftover chard makes a nice little salad and dressing.

ENJOY!

1. Betsy says:

Cool! How do they taste? Are they crunchy?

1. Heather F. says:

The chard is wispy and maybe not 100% crunchy. In my experience, kale is definitely crispy. I think they taste great, especially with some great seasonings. I traded in my late night popcorn or potato chip snack for these.

2. nickerockers says:

This is such an awesome idea.

3. jammychick says:

I dehydrated kale last year and it smelled BAD! It absolutely reeked! Will the chard be as stinky? It might require leaving windows open overnight (or setting the dehydrator up on the porch…)

1. Heather F. says:

Wow! I’ve never had kale or chard smell bad. It should smell leafy but not bad. I do my dehydrating in the garage or mud room.

4. Lea Davis says:

So relieved to see this! I had fresh chard on the “verge” of going bad from a friends organic farm and was sad that it was about to go into the compost. But I rinsed and cut into bite sized pieces and put in to dry. Afterward I was reading about veggies as I am new to this and thought…..”Was I supposed to blanch first?” But now reading this, I know it will be crunchy and flavorful and I can rehydrate and add to anything I please for sweet God given nutrition. Keep giving all you do. So many of us are blessed by it!

5. I like how you spice it up with a bit of lemon and honey- I have to try that! I used olive oil only, on my kale- it was delicious. (I don’t think I’d used canola oil, since it’s GMO…)
    Oh, and I DID notice the smell! Smelled like a cabbage farm! There are worse smells though, right?

6. kathleen moore says:

WHAT ABOUT THE STALKS? , can you dehydrate them?

1. Christina says:

Kathleen, personally I don’t think the stalks would be that delicious dehydrated but you could always try!

2. Do not bother with the stalks! I tried… not too good : /
      I processed the dry kale, to put in smoothies; alas, those dried stalk bits did not chop up- very fibrous!

7. I can’t wait to try this! Does anyone know how long they last? I was planning on storing in mason jars.

8. malla says:

I am reading all thise recipes, but wondering why do we eaven need oil? Doesnt oil just makes the dehidration proces longer? Did any of you tried withouth oil?