{weekend project} Dehydrator Yogurt

$1.00 per small container of greek yogurt seems like a good deal until you learn how easy and cheap it is make your own. Last year my husband and I purchased a 9-tray dehydrator. It’s a thing of beauty in our eyes. My husband noticed the yogurt setting on the dehydrator and that was the sort of inspiration he needed to make our own.

Making your own yogurt in a dehydrator was a big hit in a homesteading group that I’ve started attending. I wasn’t at the particular class when it was taught but the idea spread like wild fire. I was getting a lot of questions about yogurt making, which carries some irony since I am allergic to milk, so I knew it was time to share our family’s how-to here.

First I purchased a gallon of organic 1% milk and a cup of plain yogurt with live cultures as a “starter”. I bought a plain greek yogurt. Then my husband, since I am allergic to milk, tackled this project.

RECIPE: Dehydrator Yogurt

INGREDIENTS
1% gallon of organic milk
1 8 oz. container of plain greek yogurt w/ live cultures (as your starter)

METHODS

a) Take a large pot of milk and slowly bring your milk to a temperature 185 degrees for five minutes.

b) After five minutes take the whole pot off of the stove and place it in an ice bath in your sink until it cools to 115 degrees.

c) Add 4 tablespoons of yogurt from your store-bought plain yogurt cup to the milk. Mix thoroughly with a sanitized metal spoon.

D) Ladle the mixture into sanitized glass jars or another glass vessel. Take care not burn your hands, you may want to use a thick towel while ladling.

E) Set your dehydrator to 115 degrees for 12-15 hours, depending on how thick you want your yogurt.

NOTE: If you desire a thick yogurt you can strain out the whey with a cheese cloth or leave as-is. I added the plastic screw top lids to our yogurt to make breakfast on the go that much easier in our house.

It’s really so easy to make your own yogurt. Add your favorite fruit, flavoring, chia seeds, or granola to spruce it up for your breakfast morning routine. Enjoy!

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Categories: DIY, Home Dairy, Homesteading, recipe

20 Comments on “{weekend project} Dehydrator Yogurt”

1. April 13, 2012 at 9:03 am #

Thanks so much for sharing! I’ve been interested in making my own yogurt for a while (much cheaper) and this is the push I needed! One question: How well do you think will this work with fat free milk? I suppose I could just try it but I figured I’d ask first. Thanks!

• Heather F.
      April 13, 2012 at 12:23 pm #

Hi Joe! Thanks for stopping by! 0% should work just fine. Come back and let me know how you make out.

2. Ann Sims
    April 13, 2012 at 9:10 am #

This looks great! I’ve been researching dehydrators for some time now, never even imagining it could also be used for yogurt. This may well be the push I needed to finally make the purchase. Any recommendations for dehydrators?

• Heather F.
      April 13, 2012 at 12:25 pm #

I have the 9-tray Excalibur and I love it!

• Heather F.
        April 13, 2012 at 12:28 pm #

If you invest in a dehydrator you should also think about purchasing a vacuum sealer too.

3. Amy Halloran
    April 13, 2012 at 9:17 am #

Thanks Heather for showing that making your own yogurt is so simple — I never use the dehydrator, though. I put my jars in a bath towel in a spaghetti pot. If the house is cold, I put it in the oven. If the house is warm, I leave the covered pot on the counter.

The residual heat from the milk itself is enough to keep the yogurt culturing.

• Heather F.
      April 13, 2012 at 12:26 pm #

Hi Amy, You can definitely do it that way too! Thanks for commenting!

4. Ann Sims
    April 13, 2012 at 8:53 pm #

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply! All the best to you, Heather :)

5. kate2348
    April 17, 2012 at 10:14 pm #

I was wondering about the organic milk. I can only find ultra-pastuerized organic milk. Will that work for the yogurt?

• Heather F.
      April 22, 2012 at 9:44 pm #

Hi Kate, It’s not recommended. I don’t think it yields good results but maybe you could find a local farm that has some that is not ultra-pastuerized.

6. Dave
    April 23, 2012 at 11:30 pm #

Hey Heather, I had not thought of a dehydrator. For a couple of years I have been wanting to by one. Looks like another reason to buy. I’ve been making my by wraping a heating pad around my container and setting it on medium heat – saw this on Alton Brown’s Good Eats. It works really good but just one problem – my heating pad shuts off automatically after 60 minutes. So, I have to continually remember to flip it back on. It does work pretty good. I’ve been looking fo a heatng pad that does’t shut off.

• Heather F.
      May 1, 2012 at 11:49 pm #

Hi Dave. Using a dehydrator does make for a nice “set it and forget it” method. Thanks for stopping by!

7. JoAnn
    June 21, 2012 at 9:03 am #

I have also used my oven on proof setting

8. January 26, 2013 at 3:17 pm #

Now I just need to stop Steve from dialling it up to 13! ;). He recently cranked up my excalibur when I was testing some yeast and cooked it ;)

9. Lisa
    January 14, 2014 at 2:04 am #

If you cook the yogurt for 24-32 hours the lactose will be used up by the cultures and the casein will be broken down. You may be able to eat the yogurt. Most yogurt is “undercooked”.

10. Rae
    September 2, 2014 at 4:55 am #

My dehydrator doesn’t have a door! It’s one of the ones where the front of the trays add up to make the door so no actual door. Did you do this using a dehydrator with a door? Not sure how to proceed with the dehydrator that I have. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers Rae

1. {weekend reading} Springtime Fun Edition | FROM SCRATCH CLUB - April 14, 2012

[...] FRIDAY: Heather shares her recipe for Dehydrator Greek Yogurt [...]

2. {cheesemaking} My Day with The Cheese Queen | FROM SCRATCH CLUB - May 24, 2012

[...] Dehydrator Yogurt by Heather [...]

3. {FSC PODCAST} Episode 6: Preserving the Bounty | FROM SCRATCH CLUB - August 30, 2012

[...] Christina’s recipe for Half Sours, a perfect beginner project or Heather’s dehydrator yogurt piece. FSC Academy also has a new class Fermenting Abundance taught by Elissa Kane coming up both at The [...]

4. {FSC Time Machine} Winter Projects in 2012 | FROM SCRATCH CLUB - January 16, 2013

[...] Heather’s version of Homemade Yogurt: In her well-used & loved dehydrator +++ [...]