{recipe} Asian Greens Salad

Today I’m going to share my Asian Greens Salad recipe with you. In the winter I make this salad five nights a week, and we eat it for several months straight. We never tire of it. In fact, when autumn rolls around and the air gets crisp and cool, we start to hunger for it. When the greens fade from the market in the spring we miss it. All winter we happily enjoy it. Most everyone who has tried it loves it. Even my mother loves it, and she doesn’t care much for salad (sorry Mom for using you as The Example). I think you get the point: it is good stuff!

I started making a version of it years and years ago and back then I called it “Bok Choy Salad with Crunchies”. You can google that term and find the recipe all over the place. What you’ll find is a salad dressing composed of white vinegar, oil, granulated sugar and soy sauce, mixed with the “crunchies” (which I still prefer just as the original recipe specifies), poured over chopped bok choy and scallions. My dressing recipe has matured along with me. I’ve added depth and more flavor, replaced the sugar with smooth agave, and I discovered how well cilantro pairs with the greens.

I encourage you to try this recipe. I am well aware that the idea of eating raw pac choi or bok choy in a salad is unusual. Most people like to cook their choi. As a matter of fact, when I sell these greens every week at Kilpatrick Family Farm’s table at the farmers market, we call them “Asian Stir Fry Mix”, implying that they are intended for cooking. I can’t tell you how many times each Saturday I reply to the common question, “How do you cook these greens?” with, “I actually don’t cook them, I make them into salad. Let me tell you how…”

And now, let me tell you how!

RECIPE: Asian Greens Salad

Serves 4-6. Or two, if you are talking and me and my husband.

Salad ingredients

1 head of bok choy or for the Saratoga Farmer’s Market customers, one bag of Kilpatrick Family Farm pac choi or Asian Stir Fry Mix (a mix of pac choi and Tokyo Bekana, a mild, leafy green)

Green additions such as cilantro (Kilpatrick Family Farm makes a fabulous micro cilantro), scallions, or any flavorful greens

Prepare the Greens:

Cut the very end of the stem off all the bok choy/pac choi and Tokyo Bekana leaves. Coarsely chop the remaining leaves and stems into ½ inch pieces. If you are using scallions, cilantro or another vegetable, chop it up and add it to the choi. Wash the greens and get ready to toss them with the dressing.

Sesame dressing ingredients

2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 Tablespoon rice vinegar
1 Tablespoon soy sauce
½ teaspoon sesame oil
2 Tablespoons canola oil
1 ½ teaspoons agave syrup (or honey in a pinch)

Add all dressing ingredients to a bottle and shake, shake, shake.

The “Crunchies”

1 teaspoon canola or mild-tasting oil
1 bag of ramen noodles (organic or otherwise – use only the noodles, not the flavor packet)
1/3 cup slivered almonds

Prepare the Crunchies:

Lay an unopened bag of ramen noodles on the counter or floor and whack them with a meat tenderizer until they are fully crushed. Careful, the bag might pop if you get too excited while you do this! Heat a skillet over medium-low heat and add the oil. When it is warm, pour in the crushed noodles, discarding the flavor packet. Add the almonds. Stir occasionally and cook until the noodles are just golden brown.

Combine everything in a salad bowl, toss and enjoy!

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Categories: recipe, Vegetables, Winter

16 Comments on “{recipe} Asian Greens Salad”

1. March 6, 2012 at 10:50 am #

Sound great! I must get myself some suitable ingredients so I can make this sort of thing more often!

• Jillian
      March 14, 2012 at 8:44 pm #

frugal, after checking out your blog I am betting you’ll like it! I think we like the same flavors. Let me know if you try it.

2. March 7, 2012 at 8:35 pm #

I absolutely LOVE bok choy and Asian greens, there are Asian groceries everywhere in my neighborhood and the assortment of greens is sometimes mind-boggling. I can’t wait to try this, I keep just about every ingredient on hand most of the time (except ramen, haven’t bought that in awhile but now look forward to an excuse to have it around). Thanks for posting this!

• Jillian
      March 14, 2012 at 8:42 pm #

SunnyD I hope you love it when you try it! I bet you could use so many of the awesome Asian greens you find near you. Let me know how it comes out!

3. March 9, 2012 at 12:17 am #

Grow your own greens,SO easy,and they reseed themselves!!!

• Jillian
      March 14, 2012 at 8:43 pm #

Good tip Vimala, thanks!

4. March 14, 2012 at 9:42 am #

I tried this recipe last night and it was amazing! Totally going to grow bok choy in our garden this summer! Thank you for sharing.

• Jillian
      March 14, 2012 at 8:43 pm #

Grazia – awesome!

5. March 14, 2012 at 5:52 pm #

Reblogged this on Polyvoracious and commented:
    My first reblog! I just had to share this salad, it looks so scrumptious. I’m trying it the minute I get some bok choy up in here.

6. March 26, 2012 at 5:35 pm #

HI! I notice you use baby bok choy in the pics. Can you use regular bok choy as well? I made it with baby today and had to skip on the sesame oil (the bottle in my cabinet I thought was sesame was walnut!) but it was yummy! It was hard to save any for the rest of my family!

7. David
    June 24, 2012 at 4:07 pm #

Picked some fresh baby bok choy, young tender swiss chard and cillantro from my garden this morning and will be serving it with dinner tonight. What a joy to use garden fresh produce for a such a delectable offering to the family.

8. Hey mona
    December 22, 2012 at 5:30 am #

Making this today! I have everything needed. Opps! must get ramen someone made it disappear!

9. August 26, 2014 at 5:23 pm #

Wonderful blog! I found it while browsing on Yahoo
    News. Do you have any tips on how to get listed in Yahoo News?
    I’ve been trying for a while but I never seem to get there!

Thanks

1. Asian Greens Salad | Kilpatrick Family Farm - June 9, 2012

[...] This recipe is from Jillian of From Scratch Club. The original post on that blog can be found here. [...]

2. {Juicing Journey} For Health & Beauty | FROM SCRATCH CLUB - June 27, 2012

[...] my favorite breakfast and lunch juices, a lot of water, and a dinner composed of summer rolls and bok choy salad. I guarantee that if you eat this every day you will lose at least a pound a [...]

3. {recipe} Vivid Choi Salad Dressing | FROM SCRATCH CLUB - June 19, 2013

[…] inspiration for this was Jillian’s Asian Greens Salad. I love this salad. It’s so good. We’ve even made it with Napa Cabbage and it’s […]