{food policy} 2012 Farm Bill & My Trip to DC

I have some exciting news to share.

I will be one of two NYS constituents heading to DC for the National Sustainable Agricultural Coalition‘s  “Farmer Fly In” lobby days on March 5-7th to discuss the 2012 Farm Bill. More specifically, The Local Farms, Food & Jobs Act and The Beginning Farmer & Rancher Opportunity Act. I couldn’t be more excited, more nervous and more alive than when I think about the exciting venture of pounding the DC pavement to talk all about food.

Local food means local jobs.

Local food means a local economy with money staying in that community.

Local food means less land for McMansions and more land for farming.

Local food means less environmental footprint.

Local food means greater access to healthier, whole foods to its community.

Local foods means community; maybe its a Saturday, Sunday, Wednesday farmers market or on the farm conversation.

Local foods means a healthier community.

I am meeting with Kirsten Gillibrand, Chris Gibson (my district, 20th) and Bill Owens (23rd District), and Richard Hanna (24th District) and their agricultural point people to share my personal local foods/farming story (working for KFF, starting this here blog/food swap/outreach/crazy) and thoughts about the importance of shifting Farm Bill monies from subsidies (corn, soybean, cotton) to programs that will further increase the local foods & farming infrastructure in NYS and the country as a whole. I

Where you, the reader of FSC, come in —–>Please let me know your thoughts and concerns and I can bring them to your representatives on the 6th & 7th. Email me, see me at the market, stop me on the street… I want to bring our reps your thoughts! Comment here, email me at fromscratchclub (at) gmail (dot) com, or talk to us on Facebook or Twitter. I will blog/tweet/Facebook my way through this crazy trip (I haven’t been away from my hubs & son for two years!!!!!!!), for now, get me your thoughts!

If you would like to read more about those bills I mentioned AND the members of the House & Senate that support or co-sponsor said bills, you can find more information on the National Sustainable Agriculture Coalition’s Website:

The Local Farms, Food & Jobs Act
The Beginning Farmer & Rancher Opportunity Act
The Farm Bill in general

*A big THANK YOU to NOFA-NY for suggesting a member of From Scratch Club for this trip. I am so grateful for the opportunity.*

* All the glorious winter veggies seen here are from Kilpatrick Family Farm of course!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Categories: Food Policy News, Food Politics, Weekend Reading

Author:Christina

Finding her true calling, connecting people to their local foodshed, Christina is the Editor & Founder of From Scratch Club and a proud CSA Member & Market Crew member of Kilpatrick Family Farm. At the homestead, she is the Chef de Cuisine, Master Baker & Head Food Preservationist to her husband Charles and their 2 year old son, Miles Jae. Although always a supporter of local, sustainable, humane and whole foods, Chris is now on a serious mission to bring those principles into her kitchen due to Miles Jae’s multiple food allergy diagnosis, asthma and the rare disease, EE. All of her recipes are dairy, soy, tree nuts, peanuts, gluten/wheat, pea, corn & sesame free.

19 Comments on “{food policy} 2012 Farm Bill & My Trip to DC”

1. February 26, 2012 at 8:30 am #

You are one busy woman! I admired your ambition! It looks like you have all the major points covered, so I’ll wish you good luck and safe travels!

2. February 26, 2012 at 10:04 am #

No one will be a better advocate than you, Chris. Congrats on this amazing opportunity!

• February 27, 2012 at 8:44 pm #

thank you Christine- I’m researching, researching & researching for this trip! Kicking butt & taking names :)

3. February 26, 2012 at 10:10 am #

That’s great Chris – so exciting!

• February 27, 2012 at 8:47 pm #

Thanks Betsy.. I AM SO EXCITED! I’m counting the hours!

4. February 26, 2012 at 10:12 am #

This is wonderful! Thanks for bringing our concerns to D.C.!

5. Dianna
    February 26, 2012 at 10:16 am #

Yay! Tell Gibson not to run again while you are at it.

6. Jennifer H
    February 26, 2012 at 3:16 pm #

Congratulations! I am proud for your opportunity and honored that you will represent. DC may not be prepared for your positive enthusiasm and energy on behalf of local food, but I know for sure you will leave that place better than you find it. Go get ‘em!

• February 27, 2012 at 8:49 pm #

WoW Jennifer, thank you for some seriously kind words. I’m so grateful for the opportunity, I feel like I’ve been working up to this point for a while…

7. John Larsen
    February 26, 2012 at 6:02 pm #

This trip sounds like a great opportunity and your enthusiasm towards it has inspired me to investigate further on this legislation and the opportunites and obvious benefits it would bring to my little corner of the country. Best of luck to you and I look forward to your reports back from D.C.!

• February 27, 2012 at 8:45 pm #

Thank you for your kind words John. Where is your corner of the country? I will do the best I can to express my passion for local foodshed EVERYWHERE.

8. Ona
    February 27, 2012 at 8:54 am #

Go Christina!
    I am confident that you represent so much of what local farming wants. Your strong and positive attitude will come across and make an impact!

• February 27, 2012 at 8:46 pm #

Thanks Ona! I’m hoping to be the best I can. Its a huge responsibility and I am taking it very seriously!

9. Alexis
    February 27, 2012 at 7:42 pm #

I’m proud to have you represent us Chris! So excited for you and for the changes this could lead to.

1. {KNOW YOUR FARMER} why are you a CSA member? | FROM SCRATCH CLUB - March 3, 2012

[...] and now just shy of 1 year ago, I am KFF’s CSA Coordinator and heading to DC on Monday as a NYS constiuent to speak about local farmings & food infrastructure and my story to Gillibrand, G….  What a difference a year makes. I am truly grateful for this journey. Its been a blast and I see [...]

2. {weekend reading} regulation station | FROM SCRATCH CLUB - March 4, 2012

[...] NPR’s The Salt Blog has another great post this one about local farms/local food movement creating jobs (no kidding- half of us work for a farm or own a farm!). But seriously, this is a new & helpful ‘key point’ finally being bantered around when the news media & political folk talk about local food & farming infrastructure. I can tell you that I will be stressing this point in my Tuesday meetings with Gillibrand, Gibson, Hanna & Owens. [...]

3. {FSC Podcast} Episode 10: Grassroots | FROM SCRATCH CLUB - January 25, 2013

[...] for food justice at the higher level– writing to your representatives, signing petitions and fighting for better food policy– but the stories we bring you in this episode are a reminder that grassroots efforts can [...]