{winter projects 2012} Fancy Hi Hat Cupcakes

Editor’s Note: Selifishly, I’m really excited about this post. Miles’ 3rd birthday is Monday and I plan on making him some special cupcakes to share at school… and these are the ones! Hi Hat Cupcakes- nope, I’ve never heard of them either but they look amazing and Becky’s description of them makes me wish a plate of them would appear. Right now.

This post was originally published on Becky’s AMAZING Gluten-Free/Dairy-Free blog, The Mixing Bowl Diary, on February 13, 2011. -Christina

I made Hi Hat Cupcakes and it has made me one happy lady.

No idea what “Hi Hat Cupcakes” are?

Imagine a chocolate cupcake topped with marshmallow cream frosting, then dipped in chocolate.  Reminds me of the soft serve ice cream that has the hard chocolate shell.  But, instead of an ice cream cone you get a chocolate cupcake underneath this all!!!!

Want to see inside the cupcake, and find out how to make one yourself?

I made a batch of chocolate Gluten Free, Dairy Free, mini cupcakes

{seriously, mini cupcakes are just more fun sometimes, especially when you have little kids}.

Once the cupcakes cooled, I made a batch of Marshmallow Cream Frosting and piped it on top of the cupcakes. {Mix 2 tablespoons of egg white powder with 1/2 cup warm in a mixer with the whisk attachment.  Add in 1 ½ cups of Marshmallow Fluff, 2 cups of powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon of vanilla and ½ teaspoon of cream of tartar. Whisk on high until stiff peaks form (about 5 mins).  Add  DIY natural red food coloring to make the frosting pink, if desired.}

NOTE: I made this recipe a second time for family members that have a soy and egg white allergy {as well as Dairy Free and Gluten Free} so the above frosting would not suit.  I mixed up a batch of strawberry frosting using 1 cup Spectrum Shortening, 3 cups Powdered Sugar, ½ cup Strawberry Jelly and a splash of dairy free milk. Mix, mix, mix. Then pipe as above.  Turned out FANTASTIC! {make more as needed}

The goal, when frosting the cupcake, is to get a really high tower of frosting {think 4 rings high). Then put the frosted cupcakes into the fridge to set for a few hours. The frosting needs to be firm enough to hold up when it is dunked upside down in the melted chocolate.  If the frosting isn’t firm enough, it will just fall off into the melted chocolate.

To make the chocolate coating, I melted 1 cup of chocolate chips {I used Ghirardelli semi-sweet} with 1 tablespoon of Spectrum shortening. Make more if necessary.  After the chocolate has melted and is smooth, let it cool slightly so that it is not too warm.  You don’t want your beautiful tower of frosting falling off into the chocolate.

All that is left is to dunk the cupcakes! Dunking the cupcakes is a lot easier if you use a tall cup or deep bowl. If you can’t dunk the cupcake in the container you have, you can always hold the cupcake upside down and spoon the melted chocolate over it!  Let the chocolate harden on the cupcakes {putting them in the fridge speeds the process}.

These cupcakes are a really fun treat. Not only are they fun to eat, but they are fun to watch other people eat as well. Seeing the look on my son’s face as he bit into his Hi Hat Cupcake, realizing that there was a giant mound of pink marshmallow frosting underneath that chocolate shell……that was fun!

~Enjoy

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Categories: Baked Goods, Dessert, Food Allergies, Kid Friendly, recipe, {New Year}

19 Comments on “{winter projects 2012} Fancy Hi Hat Cupcakes”

1. January 7, 2012 at 5:50 am #

These look great! Thanks for sharing!

• January 7, 2012 at 11:17 am #

Thanks for checking them out! Enjoy….

2. January 7, 2012 at 8:16 am #

The color of the pink is so delicate and pretty!
    Stop by for a visit
    bB

3. January 7, 2012 at 11:18 am #

I love pink, and couldn’t help using pink frosting in there for a nice little surprise for my family!!

4. Heather Vitella
    January 7, 2012 at 12:12 pm #

These look so good! I think I will make these this week as a surprise for the kids!!!

• January 9, 2012 at 7:44 pm #

Heather, hope your kids like them! Mine did. My kids bit off the chocolate layer, licked off the frosting and then devoured the cupcake. in that order! hahah.

5. January 7, 2012 at 3:27 pm #

They are absolutely stunning – that’s some seriously impressive piping. I could never dream of executing them quite that well.

• January 9, 2012 at 7:45 pm #

Awww, thanks! Seriously though, the piping was not that hard. Give it a shot and let us know how they turn out. It takes a little practice but then you’ll be a pro!

6. January 7, 2012 at 6:03 pm #

So fun – these look great!

• January 9, 2012 at 7:45 pm #

thanks betsy!

7. January 7, 2012 at 6:46 pm #

Such a good idea!

• January 9, 2012 at 7:46 pm #

all this talk about the Hi-Hat cupcakes makes me want to run and make a batch tonight!!!!

8. Dianna
    January 8, 2012 at 8:20 am #

OK Becky, what I really want to know is how you make all these amazing desserts and stay so thin? That is the recipe I would like to share, please! I love your posts and use them on days when my grand daugther is visiting, thank you.

• January 9, 2012 at 7:48 pm #

Dianna, Glad you like the recipes/posts and have found them fun and enjoyable with your grand daughter. That is great!!! As for the “staying so thin” bit, I dont know. Moderation I would say. And…I have 2 kids that love to munch and a hubby that eats anything and doesn’t gain a pound. So my treats never last long enough to tempt me too many times!! Hahah!!!

9. January 26, 2013 at 3:18 pm #

These would be perfect for bake sales and would sell like…er…”hot cakes” ;)

1. {recipe} White Bean & Tomato Spread | FROM SCRATCH CLUB - February 5, 2012

[...] from us: Hi Hat Cupcakes by Becky, Tomato & Avocado Quinoa Salad by Alexis, Veggie Fajitas by Christine, Green [...]

2. {drink it up} Strawberry Pucker | FROM SCRATCH CLUB - June 21, 2012

[...] leather to salads, dressings, muffins and shortcake (and don’t forget freezing, pie, and even cupcakes), we go through a lot of strawberries at my [...]

3. {pulling back the curtain} What Becky Really Eats | FROM SCRATCH CLUB - September 4, 2012

[...] I would rather make {and eat} is muffins or pie or cookies or donuts. Or how about, cakes and pop tarts and lots of sweet treats. My house is never lacking in snack options come mid [...]

4. {FSC Time Machine} Winter Projects in 2012 | FROM SCRATCH CLUB - January 16, 2013

[...] Becky’s “How to” Make Fancy Hi-Hat Cupcakes (WOW!) +++ [...]