{Hello} I’m Heather

EDITOR’S NOTE: Well, we’ve done it again…we’ve sucked another dynamic woman into the From Scratch Club vortex. Ha! We all met Heather at the very first {public} Saratoga Food Swap back in June and since then we’ve all been smitten. Heather is a quiet force, one that walks & talks with intention. (I wish to learn from her as I walk around in a daze doing things one after another without much thought) She’s an amazing mother to her three sons and wife to her hubs and runs a full-on serious homestead with LOTS going on including laying hens, broiler chickens and an almost-commercial-sized vegetable garden. We asked Heather into the FSC fold for numerous reasons but one of them is to show you some grain-free meal & snack options. I hope you are as excited as I am to welcome Heather. -Christina

Hi, I’m Heather and I am the newest contributor to the From Scratch Club.

Like so many of the other contributors here, my family has adapted to a food-allergy lifestyle. In 2008 I learned about gluten-free living when my husband began on a gluten-free diet. That same year my oldest child was diagnosed with his first food allergy. Ever since then I have been happily adjusting to our “from scratch” life as more food challenges have impacted members of our family. After over a year of eating gluten-free/milk-free diet myself, my doctor and I came up with a plan for me to begin a grain-free diet.

Eating a gluten-free or grain-free diet often means that the days of healthy snacking on a whim are long gone. The gluten-free/milk-free snacks I have grown to love over the past few years are date energy bars. Prepackaged date and energy bars from the store, though convenient, are often costly and not as fresh as making your own. I worked on this recipe over the past few months. To make things simple this recipe calls for only 3 ingredients, but you can easily replace some the ingredients to taste or for allergy purposes as long as you keep dates in the mix.

{Grain-free, Milk-free} Date Bars
Makes about 5 date bars

• ¼ cup coconut flakes
  • ½ cup raw peanuts (to make nut-free substitute pumpkin or sunflower seeds)
  • 2 ½ cups pitted dates at room temperature or slightly warmed

METHODS

1. Combine peanuts and coconut flakes in your food processor. Whirl until chopped to your liking.

2. Add the dates to the food processor, making sure there are not any stray pit pieces. Combine ingredients until the dates begin to make the ingredients stick together.

3. Take mixture and press into loaf pan. If your dates are a little too dry and the mixture is not sticky enough add agave, honey, or brown rice syrup (not a grain free option) a little at a time until the mix really sticks together nicely.

4. Cover with wrap, like parchment paper, and refrigerate. Makes about 5 date bars.

OPTION
For a double batch, use parchment paper in-between layers.

It’s so easy and tasty that there really isn’t a need for purchasing those high-priced, so-so tasting snack bars.

I’m really looking forward to contributing my ideas here in the future months. Thank you to the ladies of the From Scratch Club for welcoming me here!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Categories: Food Allergies, Gluten Free, recipe

11 Comments on “{Hello} I’m Heather”

1. Courtney Curtis
    September 28, 2011 at 7:15 am #

Congrats Heather and love the recipe too. Will be making those for my snack loving family. Thank you!

Courtney Curtis

• Heather F.
      September 28, 2011 at 3:17 pm #

Thank you, Courtney. Enjoy and let me know how they turn out!

2. September 28, 2011 at 9:30 am #

Welcome! I think we need to schedule a tour of your homestead soon… :)

• Heather F.
      September 28, 2011 at 3:18 pm #

Thanks, Christine! I’d love to show you around! Of course…it’s a soggy mess right now!

3. September 28, 2011 at 10:47 am #

Looks delicious, Heather! Congrats on joining! This site is super awesome!

• Heather F.
      September 28, 2011 at 3:18 pm #

Thanks, Stace! I knew you’d love the From Scratch Club site!

4. Betsy
    September 28, 2011 at 2:00 pm #

Looks delicious, and full of healthy fats – can’t wait to try it! Where do you buy your dates?

• Heather F.
      September 28, 2011 at 3:22 pm #

Hi Betsy! I get my dates from the Green Grocer or The Honest Weight Food Co-op. It all depends on where my regular travels are taking me. I made a fresh batch this morning and added pumpkin seeds and currants to the mix. It was so yummy that half of the batch is already gone :) Also, I’ve had this with a scoop of coconut ice cream on top and it was delicious!

1. Addiction Grain Free Canned Cat Food - September 28, 2011

[...] {Hello} I'm Heather | FROM SCRATCH CLUB We asked Heather into the FSC fold for numerous reasons but one of them is to show you some grain-free meal & snack options. I hope you are as excited as I am to welcome Heather. -Christina. Hi, I'm Heather and I am the [...]

2. {recap} Goodbye 2011 | FROM SCRATCH CLUB - January 2, 2012

[...] made the talent pool even bigger with All Good Bakers Co-Owner Britin and getting to know Becky and Heather. We garnered a lot of press attention for the swaps with a story in the weekly free alternative [...]

3. {weekend project} Dehydrator Yogurt | FROM SCRATCH CLUB - April 13, 2012

[...] with live cultures as a “starter”. I bought a plain greek yogurt. Then my husband, since I am allergic to milk, tackled this [...]